Thursday, April 18, 2013

Marshmallow Bunny Thief

Unfortunately, I have no pictures to add to this story but I wanted to write it down so that I don't forget.  

The boys and I were in Publix a few days after Easter and noticed they had their Easter candy on sale.  Not one to pass up chocolate marshmallow bunnies, I picked up 2 packs (8 bunnies per pack).  Kemper and I each had one for dessert with dinner that night.  

The following day, I picked Kemper up from school and when I got home, I took Hudson upstairs to put him down for a nap.  When I came back down, I could hear Kemper in the kitchen but he scurried off when I hit the bottom of the stairs.  I could hear him giggling but didn't think anything of it because I thought he was just trying to hide.  I asked him to play quietly while Hudson napped and he decided he wanted to play outside on his playset.  

I decided that I wanted a marshmallow bunny but when I got to where I was keeping the packs on the counter, I found the pack completely empty.  I stared at it for a minute then grabbed my phone to text James.  I knew James didn't like chocolate marshmallow bunnies but thought maybe he had really wanted something sweet and couldn't find anything else.  

Our text exchange:
Me: Please tell me you at the chocolate bunnies and that Kemper didn't clean out the pack overnight.

James: Hahahahahahahaha
James: I did not baby.

When Kemper came in from outside, I asked him he he had eaten any of the chocolate bunnies.  He said no.  I asked if he was sure.  He said yes.  I told him that they were all gone but mommy didn't eat them and daddy said he hadn't eaten them either.  He said, "It must have been somebody else."  I asked if he was telling the truth which is when he hung his head and said, "I'm sorry!"  I sent him up to his room at that point, partly because I was choking back laughter at the absurdity of him eating 6 chocolate marshmallow bunnies in less than 24 hours and because I was at a loss of what to do.  

Me: OMG.  Just asked him.  He said no.   I said Daddy didn't eat them, are you telling me the truth.  He hung his head and said I'm sorry.

I went up to talk to him and found him sobbing in his room.  He kept saying how sorry he was.  We talked about how sneaking food is not ok and that we had JUST had this discussion the day before. (He had gone down and gotten a granola bar one afternoon after I said no snacks an hour before dinner and did the same thing before bed one night.)  I asked him when he ate them and he told me that instead of getting a granola bar when he woke up that morning (he goes straight downstairs and gets either a granola bar or a NutriGrain bar to hold him over until breakfast) that he ate chocolate bunnies.  I remember seeing some chocolate on his face that morning but just wiped it off thinking it was from a chocolate chip granola bar.  I asked him why he lied to mommy and why he ate them without asking to which is sobbed, "Because they just taste so goooooood!".  At that point, I told him that lying to mommy is not nice and that he was in timeout for sneaking food and lying.  

When I went back to get him from timeout, he said he had something else to tell me.  When he was running from me after I put Hudson down for a nap, he was hiding because he was eating the last bunny and didn't want me to see.  Argh!!!  

So, final count.  5 chocolate bunnies for breakfast and 1 for snack.  At this point, he's reminded me several times that it's not nice to lie to mommy and daddy and that it is not nice to sneak foods, especially sweet treats because mommy will stop buying them.  

We couldn't help but laugh at this (not in front of Kemper) because it's just crazy and absurd.  I definitely think he's hitting a growth spurt and is just famished (he's been eating ALL of his meals and 2 snacks daily and still asking for more).  At his 5-year check up, he is in the 88% for height and 55-60% for weight.  He is, and has always been, a tall string bean.  

For making it through this long story, here's a pic of my handsome boys.  



0 comments:

Post a Comment