Friday, May 18, 2012

James's Change of Command


Today, this handsome man relinquished command of Delta troop.  He took command in December of 2010 while deployed to Afghanistan and one of the first things he told me after taking command was that it was by far the best job he'd had in the Army.  I've heard that same sentiment numerous times over the last 18 months.  He has loved (mostly) every minute of command and I know today was tough for him. 


Our family before the ceremony began.

I was slightly worried about how the boys would behave during the ceremony.  Kemper has a tendency to run up to James and ask 40 bajillion questions and I knew it would be hot and sticky and just a little long for a 4-year olds attention span.  Luckily (and I shouldn't be surprised) he did FABULOUS (as did Hudson)! 


Delta troop formation


The reviewing party (James, LTC Taylor, CPT Riley)


The passing of the guidon to symbolize James passing the troop back into the hands of the Squadron commander who will then pass it into the hands of the new Troop Commander.


I was presented flowers during the ceremony.


And James arranged for Kemper to be presented with a gift as well! :)  He got a Captain America action figure.




As usual, James gave an excellent speech (and, as usual, brought tears to my eyes with his sweet comments). 




I am so proud of my amazing husband and so thankful to be on this crazy journey with him.  He's taken me to places I never imagined I'd go and we've met people who have made this journey incredibly worthwhile.  I've said it a thousand times but I am so thankful for the Army family God has given us.  We may not be close (geographically) to our families but our Army family is always there for us.  It's a bond that is hard to explain but when you go through deployments and other crazy Army experiences together, you will forever be connect to the people who are there for you and with you day in and day out. 

While his days of troop command are over, luckily we get to stay with 1-32CAV through this next deployment.  James will be the Rear Detachment Commander through the deployment so we don't have to say goodbye to our Ft. Campbell friends just yet! 


1 comments:

Unknown said...

Congrats to James and you look great Jill!

Post a Comment