Friday, April 20, 2012

Kemper's Superhero Birthday Party!


Kemper requested a Superhero theme for his birthday party this year. I figured that this would be the first year that he would really "get" the whole birthday party thing and I was more than happy to oblige his request. In fact, since this request was made back in February, I decided that I would get everything ready for the party BEFORE Hudson was born. Therefore, I set my sights high - capes for all of the kiddos as their party favors! I found a tutorial for capes made out of t-shirts on Pinterest and thought to myself, "Hey, they look so easy that even I can handle that!" HAHAHA! All I can say is thank goodness for a mother in law who rescued me when my handheld sewing machine (should have known it sounded too good to be true) failed me! I didn't come close to getting everything done before Hudson was born (more like nothing at all) but with the help of family and friends, I was able to pull off a Superhero party for my 4-year old superhero!


Our superfamily!!!!  Even Hudson had a Batman onesie for the occasion! 



The dining room was the Batman room.  Chocolate cupcakes with chocolate and vanilla icing at the birthday boy's request.  Little Batman cupcake toppers (thanks to a free printable I found online) and some balloons made this room good to go!  The kitchen/living room was the Superman room.  The capes were hung up and waiting for their superheroes to arrive.  Each cape had the first letter of the child's name on the back (siblings got identical capes with their individual letters to reduce the risk of future fights over the capes!) so that they could easily identify their cape. 


Everyone lined up in front of the capes for a quick picture then the transformation began!!!  They seemed to be a big hit!  Capes were flying all over the backyard!  


It was finally time to begin the superhero games!  First up, the Dizzy-Batman Race!  I think this ended up being more like an attempt to herd cats but they enjoyed themselves and we got a good laugh out of it!  The little ones (Hi Sam and Haley!) sat this one out but enjoyed watching the big kids!


Next up was Vaporize the Villains!  I printed off pictures of Superheros and Villains and James stapled them to the fence.  Each child was given a can of silly string and told that they had to save their superhero friends by spraying only the villains.  They had a BLAST and did a pretty good job of picking out the villains (some were unfamiliar except to Kemper who is pretty on top of his superhero knowledge!).  


Finally, we tested out their super strength with the Super Strength Balloon Pop!  Seeing how each child chose to pop their balloons was funny - Kemper employed the "push down with 2 fists" method while Caylee decided on the "plop down with my bottom" method.  Pops were heard all around and we determined that we had some super strong superheroes on our hands!  


We rounded out the evening with a little cupcake action followed by the opening of presents.  Kemper was one very lucky (and grateful) little boy who received quite a bit of superhero gear to add to his collection! 


A big thank you to all of our friends who were able to make it and help make his party special!  I've said it so many times, we are truly blessed to have an amazing Army family!  Living away from our families can be hard at times but we have an amazing group of friends who are there for us whenever we need them and we are truly thankful!  For people outside of military life, it may be hard to understand but you come to rely on these people and lean on them through difficult times and rejoice with them during good times.  I have many friends who I know would do just about anything for us and vice versa.  To all of those friends reading this, you know who you are and we're so thankful to have you all in our lives! <3 

1 comments:

Rita Z said...

This grandma was glad to be able to help, now what are we making next year?

Post a Comment